Meet the Expert Series - Wake Forest University Bioscience Experts
Wake Forest offers several different pre-med courses for high school students. So there are tons to choose from if you are a high school student with a keen interest in medicine or STEM! Ideal for anyone interested in pre-med, scientific research, global health, biology or chemistry, Wake Forest’s online enrichment course in bioscience is just for you.
In this course, Bioscience: An Inside Look at Infectious Disease, you’ll understand how epidemiologists discover, trace, and treat infectious disease; learn the basics of scientific research; and gain an understanding of the difference between viral, bacterial, and other pathogens that cause disease all while developing your communication, thinking, and presentation skills.
One impressive benefit of this program is that you’ll hear from a wide variety of experts in the fields of science and medicine. Specifically, this online STEM program at Wake Forest University features in-depth interviews with renowned experts in the field, like physicians and pediatricians, virologists, epidemiologists, microbiologists, and biochemists. Pretty impressive, right? Let’s take a quick look at just what these experts do.
- Infectious disease physicians and pediatricians: Infectious disease doctors are experts in diagnosing, managing, and treating rare, complex, serious, or chronic infections caused by bacteria, parasites, viruses, and fungi.
- Virologist: Scientist who specializes in studying viruses. They may research specific viruses, diagnose and treat viral infections, or develop vaccines and antiviral medications.
- Epidemiologist: Scientist or a public health professional who studies the cause, patterns, and location of disease outbreaks.
- Microbiologist: Scientist who studies microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.
- Biochemist: Scientist who studies the chemical processes that take place inside living organisms.
Can you imagine having the chance to hear from people with expertise in these intriguing fields? Additionally, you’ll have access to a mentor and experience tech-forward videos and demonstrations in these classes to take in high school for pre med.